Saturday, April 5, 2008

That Face

These are pictures of my sweet girl. Look at that face. Now here is the rest of the story........................
I was at school for a baby shower for a teacher. On my way out, I drove past the safety patrol post that she is assigned to. Missing.
So I asked her partner where she was. Her response, "K does not want to continue on safety patrol. She feels that the afternoon patrol is not being treated as well as the morning patrol. And she is telling others not to work."
Ok, great. I knew she was feeling that way. The morning patrol gets hot chocolate and coupons for food at restaurants, while the afternoon does not get either.
So my conversation with her was, "you need to fulfill your responsibilities. You committed to do this for the year, see it through. You may not quit, nor ask anyone else to quit safety patrol."
Her response: "Mom, it is not quitting, it is called a strike. We are striking for not being treated the same as the morning. It is cold in the afternoon and we have to run to make our bus and we are being treated unfairly."
My response: "Ummmm"
Ya got nothing. That sweet face is determined to put up a fight. She is right, she should not be treated different, but a strike? In elementary school?
I now get to think of a way to for her to approach the principal and vice p about her "grievances"
She is not even a teenager yet. I think I might be in for some trouble.
Any suggestions? I am all ears. :-)

4 comments:

Sonya said...

I'm sensing a Bria gene in there somewhere LOL. I say good for her and good luck trying to be diplomatic about it :). I'm not sure what I'd do either, but you have to admire her courage.

Heather said...

OMG I live her!!!

She seems like a good advocate for herself. I would make an appointment and be there for support and just to clarify her points.
maybe have her make an out line or talking points before she goes.

Melodrama Mama said...

Yep - this could just be the beginning of a life time of civil disobedience! Prepare yourself!

Anonymous said...

What an adorably precocious little cutie! I have one of those and it makes me cringe just thinking what she might put me thru in a few years. That is the funniest story! Has she ever watched "Newsies"?