Tuesday, January 8, 2008

SPT New Years Resolution Part Deux

So I enjoy participating in Lelly's SPT Challenges. This one is no different. I posted my thoughts on New Year Resolutions previously and had a lot of feed back about my quote I found and like. Have your New Year Resolutions be framed as “To Be’s”, not “To Do’s”. For example, losing 10 lbs would be a To Do. However, being energized and passionate would be a To Be. Begin your New Year with focusing on who you are being. For who you are being… leads to what you will do… leads to what you will achieve. Imagine creating a “To Be” Resolution List instead! - Toni Parcelles, Professional Certified Coach, www.realizoure.com What you “do” is ephemeral. But what you resolve to be, well, that would seem a lot more meaningful. You can read my thoughts here. What I did not say was what my "To Be" is for 2008. That is something I have been thinking about for awhile. I have the lovely perfectionist issue, knowing that my "To Be" cannot be to be perfect, although there is a large piece of me that wants that to be my goal. Some habits are hard to change. So as I was thinking my To Be list started to be as long as my To Do lists are each year. So before I fail at my attempt "To BE" before the first two weeks of January are even over, I decided that there needed to be more to "To Be". I like Lelly's word for the year . So as part of my "To Be" I want to include my word for the year. So my word and "To Be" for this year is ACCEPTING. This year I want to accept who I am, and not, as Amanda commented, what I want other people to see me as being. Who my friends and family are, who my husband is. This is also including acceptance of things that are out of my control. This may sound silly, but for a perfectionist prone, it is actually a difficult thing to do. :-) I want to accept help when needed, this is not just from friends, but family and to recognize that I need to accept help from God to be able to accomplish this. This means accepting new things, trying new things. This is not an excuse to do nothing, it is more of a goal to enjoy the here and now. To choose to act and not react to situations and things that are either in or out of my control.

So my "To Be" for 2008 is to be ACCEPTING

A picture of me with no make up and no hair done. Just me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great word for you! i struggle with that perfectionist thing, too... it actually took me until november of last year to find a word (even though i started thinking about it in january!!)

love your spt this week.

Becky said...

"Accepting" is a great word--thanks for sharing your SPT!

Barb said...

Your post today made me think of the Serenity Prayer. Good word for 2008.

Melodrama Mama said...

My resolution is to 'adjust' to what ever comes my way. Perhaps I need to add 'accept' as well!

Holly said...

I really liked how you are embracing "to be" instead of "to do". That really makes sense and I'm sure makes a big difference in sticking with goals/resolutions.

Great word--acceptance!
I haven't done mmy SPT yet, but I will soon...

Sonya said...

What an inspiring thought! Good for you. From one perfectionist to another "accepting" is not in our vocabulary! Kudos for taking the leap...maybe someday soon I can follow :).

Amanda :-) said...

A lovely word.

The Bible is filled with people to whom God was trying to 'speak' and they wouldn't, for a long time, just be still and accepting.

I also get this imagery when I read this post of a rock in a river. If the rock just allows the water to run over it, and accepts the current, then nature will polish it smooth and 'perfect'.

So, in a way, I think you may still yet achieve a form of perfection! :-D