Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year Resolutions

I hate New Year resolutions, well I love making them, and then beat myself up when I fail. I have lists of things I want to improve on, I am good at writing the list down and I accomplish one or two and focus on the thirty I have not done. So this year I have been avoiding addressing the situation. Thinking what few things I want to put down so that I don't feel like I lost the battle again. I found this quote and I think this is going to be my New Year resolution. Have your New Year Resolutions be framed as “To Be’s”, not “To Do’s”. For example, losing 10 lbs would be a To Do. However, being energized and passionate would be a To Be. Begin your New Year with focusing on who you are being. For who you are being… leads to what you will do… leads to what you will achieve. Imagine creating a “To Be” Resolution List instead! - Toni Parcelles, Professional Certified Coach, www.realizoure.com What you “do” is ephemeral. But what you resolve to be, well, that would seem a lot more meaningful.

I like this idea. You hear all the time that positive leads to positive. The "To Do" feels more like a negative, but creating a picture of who I want "To Be" is a positive. It is seeing myself in a positive way and helping myself to become the person I want to be, in turn, hopefully allowing me "to do" those things I want to accomplish with out the guilt of not making it happen. Not sure if that all makes sense, but in my mind it is somehow more incentive. So today, I am going to write down who I want "To Be" this year. The person who my family will benefit from, who my husband will benefit from, who my church will benefit from, who the Lord knows I can become and most importantly the person I will benefit and feel good about being. This time one step at a time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i love your thoughts on this!! i hope you will come by spt next week and share!!

(diggin' the beatles, too!)

Amanda :-) said...

This is a good approach. I'd have to be careful with it, as I concern myself too much with what I want other people to see me as being, rather than just what I want to be in myself.

Chris said...

Amanda I am glad you brought that up, it is also something I have to take into consideration as well. That is actually what I want one of my "To Be" items, not to concern myself as much with what others think, but what I think.

Sonya said...

I'm so motivated now! Thanks for inspiring us all! Love the videos :).