Friday, February 12, 2010

Cruise in Review

While it feels like I have been back for weeks from my cruise to the Caribbean, it has not even been two weeks. I thought I better start posting some pictures and highlights of our 10 days in paradise. First, I have to say, I LOVE to cruise. I really think it is my favorite vacation. Lots of Islands, tons of activities to choose from and the food is taken care of, you unpack and sail away.
This cruise was out of Puerto Rico, San Juan. It is so fun to start in a sunny and warm place. We arrived and went strait to the ship. The rooms were ready and so we dropped everything there before exploring the ship.

This time we chose to get veranda in our room..Loved that! It was nice to just sit out there and watch the ocean.

First stop St Maarten! Serious shopping on this island. lol if we didn't spend it all to get there. They wheel and deal, it is actually fun to see how low they actually go. When I make my fortune this is the designer I will be buying jewelry from. Yes diamonds in every color.

But seriously, the island is beautiful as well. Since we have been before, and it was a Sunday, we stayed close to port. The Island is made up of two sides, the French and the Dutch. The French was pretty much closed this time, so we stayed on the Dutch side and did some shopping and walked on the beach close to the ship. Dinner that night was formal, my fun, Alan tolerates. haha. But I think we clean up nice. haha
Day 3 a stop in Dominica, my Spanish background want me to pronounce this wrong..it is Domineeka. This is a beautiful island. Not so good with the beaches, but the waterfalls take the prize.
To get to the waterfalls you have to climb tons of rocks, boulders actually. I made it half way and then watched a woman fall through them and decided I wanted to enjoy the rest of my cruise and watched the DH climb to the top. They were beautiful.

See, Clearly they are boulders. :)

Day 4 we stopped at the island Grenada. The island of spice.

A view from the top and a stop to the "spice lady".

Here is a table full of spices that they grow on the island. I did come home with a basket full of fresh spices for my mom....who spent the week with my kids while I played. Thanks mom!

They also had some beautiful scenery on this island. It was not one that I wanted to spend at the beach, due to beautiful hikes to natural pools, however the DH loves beaches, so we did end up swimming here.

Day 5 Tobago : The island of beautiful beaches. This was to be purely beach day. Tobago is known for gorgeous white sand beaches. So that is what we did, spent the day at the beach. It was the rainiest day of the whole trip. Boo :( But still nice at the beach.

This picture makes me laugh. It was supposed to be a good way to get the beach and us in the picture, but I think we look like we are posing for some body building contest. Which clearly we did not win. haha

This is a good picture of what the beaches look like. Just add sun and not overcast and you get spectacular.

Day 6 Barbados and my birthday: Barbados is one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean. I was so happy we were there on my birthday. We did a 5 hr excursion with the ship that day. We were on a catamaran, sailing the Caribbean and snorkeling. Specifically with the sea turtles. It was a beautiful day, which meant I fried, but didn't care. :-) The turtles were amazing to see and so close you could touch them. And I love sailing.....To top it off it was formal night again. :)
The above picture was at the port, the day in Barbados. Below is a picture of one of the many beaches we sailed by and then docked to swim.

Sailing on the catamaran is one of my favorite things to do. Just cruising through the waters and soaking in the sun, a little more sun than I needed, but a beautiful day.
Open bar on the boat meant diet coke galore for me. :)

If you look closely below you can see a turtle sticking it's head up for air. I was in the water, but Alan was on the boat taking some pictures of the turtles. The one regret, not having an underwater camera. We will just have to go back again. :)

After returning to the ship it was time to dress up for the last formal night of our cruise. We had a table full of great people. Here are some pictures of our last formal night.
Here is our dinner table and below is a lovely picture of me and the mini cake they brought for the table on my birthday.

Alan and I with our fabulous waiters for the week.

Day 7 Day at sea. Our last day of the cruise was returning to San Juan. We were very lazy and hung out on our balcony pretty much the whole day watching the water. It was so beautiful.
Day 8.........Back to San Juan to spend the day in Old Town. We have been there before so we just wondered around looking at different things. Alan thought taking pictures of the birds would be fun and some guy decided to grab my hand and pour bird seed in it.........can you see the joy in my face. haha
Now me bathing in anti bacterial gel after the bird incident.
One picture from the fort.

1 comment:

Allie said...

I'm so jealous! It looks like you had a wonderful time. Ten days of child-free vacation would be heavenly to start with, but the fact you went on a cruise to so many beautiful places is extra heavenly. I loved the pictures of the birds and then the hand gel. Too funny. Welcome home to the sands of snow and rock salt and our beaches of melty run off.